The Cape, a Thompson Hotel, Partners with New Adventure Travel Production Company MANSA VIDA to Host an Exclusive Surfing Retreat
Los Cabos’ newest luxury boutique hotel celebrates its unparalleled location on popular surfing spot Monuments Beach with niche package, available May 19-22, 2016
The Cape, a Thompson Hotel is partnering with new adventure travel production company MANSA VIDA—founded by pro-surfers Rob Machado and Tim Curran—to host a surfing-inspired retreat, exploring the sport, music, and art of surf culture. Led by surfing industry veterans, including Curran, friend and fellow pro-surfer Damien Hobgood, iconic surf photographer Tom Servais (and with potential special guests ranging from Rob Machado to musicians and athletes from the MANSA VIDA network), the immersive, three-night retreat will celebrate all things surf culture.
Taking place May 19-22, 2016, the multi-day experience includes overnight stays at the new luxury resort; a hands-on surf workshop with the pros; a live acoustic performance by Curran held on the hotel’s rooftop (the only rooftop lounge in Cabo San Lucas); screenings of cult surf films (followed by Q&A sessions with the pros); and an informative surf photography viewing and discussion with Tom Servais.
Located directly along Monuments Beach—a world-renowned surfer’s destination—and near the southernmost tip of the Baja California Sur Peninsula, The Cape is the first Mexico property from the sophisticated lifestyle brand Thompson Hotels and a natural partner for the surf pros, who often vacation in Los Cabos to hit its famed breaks. Both champion surfers, retreat co-leader Hobgood is a ten-year-plus veteran of the World Championship Tour known for his penchant for tackling high-risk surf, while Curran is also an established singer/songwriter having opened for the Foo Fighters, among other celebrated artists. Servais is revered as one of the most prolific and talented surf photographers, having worked in the industry for 25-plus years.
“We were inspired to host a retreat like this after (fellow MANSA VIDA founder) Rob and I went on a surfing trip through Mexico. We were surfing, playing music, and surrounded by this amazing and talented group of photography and film professionals,” says MANSA VIDA co- founder Curran. “We want to offer folks the chance to explore surf culture just like the world’s top surfers do. And The Cape, with its surf-inspired vibe and incredible location right on Monuments Beach, is the perfect place to do it.”
The Cape + MANSA VIDA Surf Retreat Package Includes:
- Three nights at The Cape, a Thompson Hotel – room options vary; can include but not limited to:
-The Surfer Villa–a three-bedroom, two-story luxury villa with a fully-equipped, state-of-the-art kitchen; gaming room with pool table; expansive, private outdoor patio with a plunge pool and barbecue; and sauna
-Deluxe King Room – featuring a private balcony with hanging daybed; bespoke mid-century, Latin American-inspired furnishings; free-standing, copper-leafed tub and rain shower
- Surfing Workshop with Curran and Hobgood – guests will hit the waves side-by-side with Curran and Hobgood, where they can test out the pros’ surfboards and experience hands-on coaching; pending surf conditions and open to surfers of all levels
- Film Screenings on The Rooftop – cult surf films will be screened at the sixth-story rooftop lounge overlooking the Sea of Cortez and downtown Cabos San Lucas; followed by Q&A session with the pros discussing the art and craftsmanship of this niche genre
- Photography Exhibit with Tom Servais – led by the renowned surf photographer, guests will view a collection of iconic surf images taken by Servais over the last few decades; followed by a Q&A session with Servais on capturing the culture and action of the sport
- Live Acoustic Concert on The Rooftop – led by singer/songwriter Curran, guests will enjoy a live acoustic show at the hotel’s rooftop lounge
- Daily Morning Yoga – often a fundamental part of surf culture, each day will begin with beachside yoga classes led by a resident teacher
- Daily Breakfast – hosted breakfast at the resort’s casual beach-house inspired restaurant Ledge, complete with ocean views and fresh local produce
- Surf SWAG – guests will receive assorted sporting gear from the pros’ sponsors
- Roundtrip Airport Transfer – from San Jose del Cabo airportAvailable for booking now, “The Cape + MANSA VIDA Surf Retreat” package is in limited supply and offered on a first-come, first-served basis. More information is available at thompsonhotels.com/the-cape.