16 Positive Things About Mexico (and I’m only getting started!)

On the plane from Los Angeles to Cancun, a mother was traveling with her husband and two children.  Since she and her husband were not seated together, and one of their seats was next to us, they each took turns sitting next to us. She sat next to me the last half of the flight.  This was their first vacation to Mexico and it just so happened that they were going to be staying at Hacienda Tres Rios in Riviera Maya, a place my husband and I know well.

We were able to tell her all about the resort, its surroundings, ambiance, eco-practices, kids club, Chef Oscar, and so forth. She said she wanted to do something special for her husband for his birthday while they were there and I recommended dining at the ‘Chef’s Table’ with Chef Oscar. She could get childcare on site or have the kids go in the Kids Club.

She said, “Do you think that’s safe?” and I said, “I’m POSITIVE it’s safe.” I knew that this was a very kid-friendly place.

This led me to really think about the ‘Is Mexico Safe?’ comment I hear all too often. Like any other country, isolated crimes will happen, and you always have to be a smart traveler, be respectful of the country you are in and don’t go asking for trouble.

For anyone who has not been to Mexico (and/or who tells other people not to go because of what they see on the 6 o’clock news), please think twice. I have been traveling to Mexico for more than 20 years and will continue to travel to Mexico for the next 20 years, unless we end up moving there first!

So, here are 16 Positive Things About Mexico (and yes, I’m only getting started!)

1. I am positive that no matter where you go or what you do in Mexico, it will always be an adventure.
  2. I am positive that someone will always be around to help you.
  3. I am positive that no matter how hard you try, some words will be lost in translation, and most likely it will be comical.
  4. I am positive that having a sense of humor is key for any travel.
  5. I am positive that experiencing new foods in Mexico will never get old.
  6. I am positive that your eyes will be dazzled by the bright colors of Mexico.
  7. I am positive that Mexico’s greatest natural beauty is in the eyes of her children.
  8. I am positive that Mexico will always amaze and never cease to confound.
  9. I am positive that Mexico is ancient and modern at the same time.
  10. I am positive that Mexico still is a place of dreams.
  11. I am positive that the natural beauty will replenish your soul.
  12. I am positive that you can see the history of Mexico in the faces of its people.
  13. I am positive that when you visit (and you’re not acting like a jerk), you will be treated like family.
  14. I am positive that the many speed bumps are good for your abs.
  15. I am positive that you will always find an outdoor taco stand or street cart open late.
  16. I am positive that for me, the best part of Mexico is the children.

Mayapan Ruins, Yucatan

Merida, Yucatan

Cenote (fresh water sink hole)

53 comments for “16 Positive Things About Mexico (and I’m only getting started!)

1. Sergio Talamantez
    2013-06-07 at 10:58 am

Susie, thank you for the nice, sweet comments, so true, Viva Mexico…. ya dije…

2. 2013-05-14 at 9:01 am

Having just returned from an 8 day solo adventure in Mexico, I am madly in love with it and want to live there. Going back in 10 days. And I agree with the notes I just saw above about the attitude. A warm smile and open heart will take you a long way and no other country is more rewarding for this than Mexico. Viva!

3. Larry LaBonte
    2013-05-03 at 9:16 am

I have lived in San Felipe, Baja Norte for 8 years and love, love, love this Paradise on Earth!!
    The people are the most generous of Spirit, kind and helpful. And yes, the children are muy bonita , the food delightful and the culture fascinating. Thank you so much for this great article.

• Susie Albin-Najera
      2013-05-08 at 4:28 am

Thanks for your comment Larry and for sharing your experience in Mexico as well!

4. 2013-05-02 at 4:27 pm

Mexico is my home, I hope for life, Mexico stole my heart long ago with her lovely people, fascinating history and wonderful culture. I am more at home here than anywhere else in the world. One day I hope to become a permanent resident.

5. Susie Albin-Najera
    2013-05-02 at 6:38 am

I would like to thank all of you for your comments. I know we all have different experiences in Mexico and I’m glad to be able to share these with you.

• 2013-05-03 at 8:23 am

Wonderful article…..well written and I am positive I agree with you wholeheartedly!
      All the best.

• Susie Albin-Najera
        2013-05-08 at 4:35 am

Thanks so much Joanne!

6. Mary
    2013-05-01 at 3:08 pm

Maybe they are taxing you for your attitude. Why visit/stay if you feel you are being taken advantage of?

7. 2013-05-01 at 2:52 pm

As a full time resident of Mexico for over 7 years I can say that I agree with this blog. I have nothing but positive experiences in my daily life which is non-stresses compared to my life north of the border. I love these people! I love this place! I will continue to spread the word about a super quality place to live your life! In Mexico!

8. Sean Mulvaney
    2013-04-30 at 2:50 pm

There is no such thing as a gringo “tax”… however, a rich person “tax” does exist in Mexico. Outside of supermarkets and regular stores, there is a general feeling in Mexico that if you have a lot of money you can afford to pay a little more. This applies to Mexicans and foreigners alike. Unfortunately, there is a presumption that all foreigners (not just gringos) have a lot of money. I am a gringo, who has lived in Mexico for the past 17 years and have rarely been charged the rich person’s “tax”… probably because of where I live, how I dress and how I act.

9. Maggie
    2013-04-30 at 2:39 pm

Try Japan. Good luck with the language and the cost of living. Tipping is not done, it is turned down. But in Mexico it is all attitude. Instead of a gringo tax, think of it as a sliding scale. If you lived and earned pesos only, you would need that sliding scale or you could not afford services or to live. They earn about 10 pesos/hour. Americans are obscenely rich by comparison. An extra few bucks is the price we pay to live in paradise next to these incredibly warm and welcoming people. Attitude is everything. Feeling ripped off and taken advantage of is an attitude.

• RRWhitefield
      2013-05-01 at 11:58 am

here! here!

10. 2013-03-12 at 12:43 pm

Ilovemexico

• IRENE
      2013-05-01 at 8:33 am

KEVIN.
      I AM A PROUD MEXICAN. I HAVE JUST READ YOUR ARTICLE AND IT WAS URGENT FOR ME TO REPLY AND THANKY YOU FOR YOUR WORDS.
      YOU ARE RIGHT, MEXICO CAN OFFER MORE.
      FOR ME, MEXICO IS LOVE, LAUGHTER, FRIENDS, FAMILY, CULTURAL, FULL OF SPIRIT.

MEXICO IS MY COUNTRY, WHERE MY TWO BEAUTIFUL KIDS WERE BORN, WHERE I LIVE AND OF COURSE I LOVE AND FEEL ENORMOUS PRIDE OF TALKING ABOUT MEXICO.

11. 2013-03-12 at 12:42 pm

I’m mexican…and proud of it…Mexico is beautiful…I visit puerto Vallarta in 2001 and after that I left Mexico…now I’m living in the USA I miss Mexico

12. Lori
    2011-09-22 at 12:39 pm

Hi Susie,

Thanks so much for accentuating the positive things about this beautiful, breathtaking country and it’s people. I visit twice a year from Toronto and the next time someone asks me why I spend every vacation there, I’m going to direct them to your list. I especially love #13; the best thing about Mexico is her people! (But the food, hearing Spanish being spoken and the culture are close behind!)

• Susie Albin-Najera
      2013-05-08 at 4:45 am

Thanks for the great feedback Lori – and glad you enjoyed the piece!

13. Patrick Dill
    2011-09-10 at 7:09 am

Thank you so much. I moved to Mexico 21 years ago at the age of 60; alone and with no Spanish. Within 2 years I married, adopted 2 young children, taught myself Spanish (with help). Previously I had lived and worked in 14 foreign countries and I have never felt safer and saner than I do in Mexico. I just wish that I had discovered her sooner. In your article I especially love items 7, 12 and 16. God bless you for your open eyes and heart.

14. Alma Lopez
    2011-09-09 at 12:52 pm

Agree.
    Mexico is full of wonderful surprises.

15. Gerardo Cruz
    2011-02-18 at 3:34 pm

Susie, I just can not find the right words (and not because I’m not a native English speaker) to express the profound sense of gratitude and sympathy about your deep love for my country. Besides, you provoked in me a reflexion about the attitude we –as mexicans– should have about our homeland.

Thank you very much and best regards from Mexico City

• Patricia
      2013-05-01 at 7:51 am

Totally agree with you Gerardo.

16. 2011-02-12 at 9:54 am

Beautiful, thank you for focusing on the good things of Mexico!!! :) With this attitude it’s impossible to have a bad time in my amazing country.

17. Dieter Zerressen
    2010-10-26 at 3:30 pm

We’ve vacationed on Isla Mujeres, nice, in Playa del Carmen and at least 4 times to Akumal (Vista del Mar – great). We love the ocean, the the snorkeling, the cenotes, and the weather.

• 2010-10-29 at 4:41 am

Thank you for your comments Dieter. I’m glad to see you did enjoy Mexico overall. Kind regards, Susie

18. 2010-10-26 at 2:39 pm

Hi there Susie, im glad you love our country. Hope to hear from you soon. Regards, I.

• 2010-10-29 at 4:35 am

Hi Ismene! It was so great to meet you and thank you so much for your hospitality! We loved Merida and the Yucatan area! I will send you an email shortly. All the best, Susie

19. 2010-10-26 at 1:23 pm

What a wonderful … delightful … insightful … refreshing viewpoint on traveling within Mexico. Keep up the great work, Susie. Looking forward to the next sixteen!! All the best, Tony

20. 2010-10-24 at 9:14 am

I was first brought to the real Mexico, the town of Tulum, in 2004 and immediately fell in love with the people, the food, and the scenery. Since then I have driven from and to Indianapolis, IN and Tulum and Isla Mujeres the 3,000 miles each way 3 times with absolute delight, and will be doing it again after Christmas. I have also flown there and additional tow or three times every year as I now enjoy two houses there. One on Isla Mujeres and one on Tankah Bay north of Tulum. People live there and go there to have fun and enjoy life. What more could anyone ask for?

• 2010-10-25 at 4:52 am

Hi Richard,

It’s true, Mexico has a way of capturing our hearts with its natural beauty. Thank you for your beautiful note and for sharing your story. I agree wholeheartedly, what more could you ask for? Cheers, Susie

21. 2010-10-24 at 8:32 am

Thank you Susie!! I really appreciate your beautiful comments. My husband and I have been traveling to Mexico for 20 yrs, mostly to Purerto Penasco/Rocky Point due to the proximity to our home and have never had a problem traveling 2-5 times a year. We love it there so much and wanted to go more often so we started a shuttle service from Tucson, AZ to Rocky Point/Puerto Penasco, MX a year ago, RockyPointRides.com.

We too are fustrated that the media constantly paints such a negative picture of Mexico, here in the southwest it usually escalates around any major such as Memorial Day or Labor day, the reports are usually generalized and mention Rocky Point when what is being reported is not happening there. My husband and some of our passengers were interviewed by a local TV station after there reports of unauthorized checkpoints after dark where people were getting shot on the road from Lukeville, AZ to Rocky Point, Mx, these reports were false, there had been a check point in another part of Mexico and was a government check point not and unauthorized one.

We also agree “if you are not acting like a jerk” as well as using your common sense, you should not have any trouble in Mexico. I like to tell people, if you would not do it at home, don’t do it in Mexico, or anywhere else for that matter. The people are wonderful and do treat you like family. We plan on moving to Mexico after our daughter graduates high school.

• 2010-10-25 at 4:49 am

Hi Alicia! Thank you so much for you comments and for sharing your story! It’s refreshing to hear your success story and how it was created out of a love for Mexico. Sharing the positive stories are so important, especially right now. Thanks again for taking the time to read the piece and for your feedback! Cheers, Susie

22. iwalani
    2010-10-23 at 8:21 pm

I love your positive view on this….now this is the way to look at life!

• 2010-10-25 at 4:44 am

Thank you Iwalani! Thanks so much for reading and taking the time to comment!

23. JADEMINE KAO
    2010-10-22 at 2:33 pm

Every time I come to San Felipe Eldorado Ranch Mexico, I feel happy in terms of the
    people I meet, the different food I eat, and the fresh air of the beach, it’s amazing like
    if I landed by airplane in Hong Kong my home town.

• 2010-10-25 at 4:43 am

Jademine, thank you for taking the time to comment! Glad to hear of your wonderful experiences in Mexico!

24. Jo Ann Najera Perry
    2010-10-21 at 9:35 pm

Having been a travel agent in the 90’s thru-early 2000, I have truly appreciated the beauty of Mexico and it’s people. I traveled extensively throughout it’s land and have seen the places I dreamed of that could exist. The hospitality is one beyond compare.
    I have a time share in Puerto Vallarta in which I call my second home. When I can get there, I never want to leave. Safety has never been an issue for me or my family. I truly trust everyone around me when I’m there. Also, people are so helpful if I cannot find what I’m looking for such as areas I’ve never explored.
    I whole heartedly recommend Mexico to everyone who would like to be enchanted by it’s splendor, beauty and it’s people.
    Mexico is a place to visit.

• 2010-10-22 at 7:11 am

Jo Ann – thank you so much for your comments! I’m glad to hear about such positive experiences and love for Mexico.

25. 2010-10-21 at 8:19 pm

I did share this on my Where and What in the World Fan Page on FB. It was a very nice post.

26. 2010-10-21 at 7:54 pm

Susie, I am positive that you are right about Mexico! Thank you for your bold, clear, and true statements about our querido Mexico. Positively uplifting!!

• 2010-10-25 at 4:42 am

Thank you so much Betsy! Always appreciate the comments, from one Mexico enthusiast to another! :)

27. 2010-10-21 at 5:00 pm

I especially like your point #14 about the speed bumps. Having traveled extensively through the state of Veracruz over the last 14 years, I have come to “terms” with those bumps. In fact, I have named Veracruz, “Tierra de los Topes” (Land of the Speed Bumps).
    FYI – in Jamaica, they call them “Sleeping Policemen.”

28. RAFAEL
    2010-10-21 at 4:07 pm

thank you so much for sharing this amazing story and the pictures are great!!! thanks!!!

• 2010-10-21 at 4:47 pm

Thanks so much Rafael! There are so many wonderful things about Mexico. Take care!

29. 2010-10-21 at 3:40 pm

Thank you, Susie. Something else incredible is about to happen in Mexico.

For only the fifth time in 97 years the International Six Day Enduro (formerly known as the Internation Six Day Trials) is being held in the Americas. This years it is in and around Morelia, Michoacan. Motorcycle riders from around the world are headed there right now to begin the event November 1 – 6.

• 2010-10-21 at 4:48 pm

Thanks for posting that info Mark! Glad you enjoyed the piece and hope you are well. Cheers, Susie

30. 2010-10-21 at 1:13 pm

BRAVO!!! It is so nice to read about the good things Mexico has to offer! :) And I agree, “the best part of Mexico is the children.”

• 2010-10-21 at 4:46 pm

Thank you Leslie! Looking forward to checking out your site! All the best – Susie