1. Before walking out of a restaurant, complete strangers will say “¡Buen provecho!”(Bon appetit) to all who are enjoying a meal.
2. Serenades are alive and well. Especially on one of the most important festive days of the year over here…MOTHER’S DAY! A country that is both musically-inclined AND loves their mom is wonderful to me
3. I can take a 6-hour bus ride that includes movies, a stretch-your-legs-out comfy seat, WiFi, a sandwhich, a bag of munchies and a bottle of water for UNDER $40 dollars…
I love the list she made and couldn’t agree more! As a full-time resident of Mexico, she admitted that she could have gone on listing things she loved about her adopted country.
So, in the spirit of reporting the positive things about Mexico, here are some additional and unique things that, as a visitor to Mexico, I love as well, that we can add to the list:
- Kind greetings and goodbye gestures, a kiss on the cheek or ‘Que le vaya bien’ always brightens my day, no matter what
- Chilaquiles (#13 on Sylvie’s list but worth repeating. I love chilaquiles so much I could eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner any day of the week or weekend, but I prefer the crispy ones with the green tomatillo sauce.)
- Baby hammocks – have you seen these? Wow, does it look comfy for a tot
- Mango season, get ready because it’s coming up
- All of the non-profits in Mexico doing amazing work to advance, educate and beautify their communities, here are a few
- Siesta time (I don’t know if this technically still exists in Mexico because everybody always seems to be working hard all the time when I visit, but I sure wish the U.S. would adopt this concept)
- The local buses with guitar players on board who sing to the children
- Ancient Mayan pyramids and cenotes (I admit you can see some pretty impressive sites in the states, but nothing really compares coming face to face with these breathtaking wonders)
- Tropical, colorful birds flying around
- The children of Mexico — pretty incredible to say the least
- Bing ice cream – need I say more?
I could go on as well, but if you haven’t been to Mexico in a while (or if you’ve never been for that matter), here are at least 30 more things you can look forward to experiencing on Sylvie’s list:
Keep the list going! What are some of the things you love about Mexico?