UPDATED (as of Sept 22, 2017)
On Tuesday, September 19, 2017, another powerful earthquake of 7.1 magnitude hit the central area of Mexico, centered around Mexico City / Puebla area. More than 230 people have died including several children. Rescuers have been working around the clock to save lives. They have also been working with trained rescue dogs who are identifying those still trapped. It has been a massive effort with aid coming in from all parts of the world.
->On the evening of September 7, a powerful 8.1 earthquake hit off the coast of Southern Mexico and killed at least 90 people, primarily in Chiapas and Oaxaca. Along with the death toll, the damage from the quake destroyed houses, businesses and more.
We included a few links to the organizations in which we’ve donated or worked with before. Donations go toward basic necessities such as food, water, medicines, temporary shelter and long-term recovery assistance.
Thank you for any donation you can give to support those affected by this natural disaster in Mexico.
RELIEF FOR CENTRAL MEXICO EARTHQUAKE (Mexico City / Puebla / Central):
2. ICF Disaster Relief: https://donate.icfdn.org/npo/international-disaster-relief-mexico-city-puebla-morelos
4. Como Ayudar: http://comoayudar.mx/
5. Facebook Earthquake Fund: https://www.facebook.com/donate/420576585005843/
6. HuffPost article with resourceful donation info: http://www.huffingtonpost.com.mx/entry/how-to-help-mexico-earthquake-victims_us_59c1e69ee4b087fdf5090354
7. Mexico-based company, Grupo AtomiCo asks for help in a time of national crisis. Utilizing its online e-commerce portal, Kichink, the group has created a new adjunct site which offers users three donation opportunities, in increments of $25, $50, and $100, to support the areas most affected by the disasters. 100 percent of all donations will be distributed to those in need, as there are no added commission fees, and Kichink itself will match 100% of the funds to assure the much-needed aid reaches those in need. To donate, please visit https://www.kichink.com/stores/kichink-relief.
8. National Disaster Search Dog Foundation (deploying at least two teams to search for survivors):
9. Direct Relief (supplying wellness, hygiene, critical medical supplies to shelters, survivors, clinics): https://www.directrelief.org/emergency/2017-mexico-earthquakes/
10. DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDERS/MEDICIENS SANS FRONTIERS (have medical staff residing in Mexico who are assessing most urgent needs for personnel, dispatching them to those locations):
11. Oxfam Mexico: www.oxfammexico.org/dona
12. Project Paz: https://epcf.org/mxquake
14. Santiago Garcia Galvan has quickly organized a website to connect Architects, Engineers and experienced volunteers to check people’s homes in Mexico City for structural damage. They launched yesterday and in 7 hours have already checked 200 homes (Santiago’s own home is now uninhabitable). They need people to be aware (both for Mexicans with damage to their homes to photograph them and experts to help assess) visit www.Salvatucasa.mx.
RELIEF FOR SOUTHERN MEXICO EARTHQUAKE (Oaxaca / Chiapas / Southern):
International Community Foundation(ICF)
Red Cross Mexico
UPDATED and also verified:
5. Rafa Rodriguez, el FIOB LA, y la Organización Regional de Oaxaca (ORO)
Norma Schafer of Oxacaca Cultural Navigator recommends the following two ways to donate which have been verified and go directly to the effort:
6. Francisco Toledo Foundation Francisco Toledo’s Foundation IAGO (Instituto Artes Graficas de Oaxaca)
7. Denise Lechner (anthropologist)who is working in the field https://www.paypal.me/deniselechner
If you have other reputable donations sites to recommend, please include the link in the comments section below and we will gladly update this growing list. We know there are a lot of natural disasters happening right now in the world, so we really appreciate anything you can give to our southern neighbors in need. Thank you!