What You Should Really Worry About When Visiting Mexico

Last weekend I was speaking at The Puerto Vallarta Writers Conference and while eating at the famed, endless Sunday brunch at the Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Spa, I suddenly became very inspired to write. Since my laptop was up in the room, I grabbed what was handy, (in this case it was my Alaska Airlines boarding pass from my purse) and started to write anyway.

People ask me everyday if Mexico is safe. “Is Mexico safe? Will I get shot?” Well, I suppose it’s like if a person from Mexico asked me if they would get shot if they traveled to Los Angeles. Is it possible? Yes. Is it probable? No.

The fact is, you have a 1.3% chance of being a victim of crime in Mexico.

But, as a frequent traveler to Mexico, I think it’s only fair to let you know that there are some warnings to traveling in Mexico.

So, here is a list of things you just might have to worry about while you’re visiting Mexico:

• You might overeat at the endless Sunday brunch and get heartburn
  • You might trip and fall on the cobblestone streets
  • You might get acid indigestion from too much fresh squeezed lemonade
  • You might get sunburned and have to spend extra money buying aloe vera gel
  • You might lose your hearing if you are sitting next to a 26-piece mariachi band
  • You might have a hard time deciding whether to go to the beach or go to the pool
  • You might hit someone with a golf ball because you were blinded by the sun
  • You might get sore abs driving over so many speed bumps (topes)
  • You might get really tired from having so much fun, that you forget to buy souvenirs for your family back home, and they might get mad
  • You might fall completely, head-over-heals in love and never want to leave which causes you to be depressed when you have to go to the airport to go back home

Sheraton Buganvilias Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta

When you travel anywhere, be a smart traveler. Watch your stuff, be respectful of the country you’re visiting and use common sense.  The fares and deals to Mexico are great right now. So book a flight, book a hotel, pack your bags and go relax, get some fun in the sun, get some culture, get inspired and go visit. Mexico is our neighbor and biggest trading partner to the south. We are linked in so many positive ways.  Sharing a laugh and a smile are some of the best things that neighbors can do and it just might surprise you.

Boy in front of Biblioteca Los Mangos, Puerto Vallarta

80 comments for “What You Should Really Worry About When Visiting Mexico

1. Bob
    1 May, 2013 at 11:28 am

Hi, that’s a nice article! But where did the 1.3% chance figure come from? Does if refer to tourists, specifically? I’m a little skeptical that one out of 77 tourists are crime victims, so it would help to have some background on that. Thanks for any links.

2. 1 May, 2013 at 8:29 am

THANK YOU!
    Its good to have some nice comments to say about a country where hard working people try their best to host tourists every day. They want all tourist to have a memorable time in Mexico with the whole purpose to get good word of mouth with friends and family when they go back home.
    As an entrepreneur we invested millions of dollars in Cancun and opened up a very unique experience. http://www.exoticrides.mx
    We think that more positives things need to be said on this country, specially tourism wise.
    thanks again!

3. Michael Stephens
    1 May, 2013 at 7:54 am

I have been camping and surfing in Mexico for 28 years. I go on an average of twice a year and usually drive at least 400 miles to reach my preferred spots. On many of those trips, I have travelled alone. My life has never been threatened and I have never been robbed. Not being flashy and using common sense are the keys to successful travel anywhere in the world.

4. 7 December, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Great write up! Thanks for pointing these things out! So many people are blinded by the negatives of Mexico that they fail to see what the country is really about.

5. 14 August, 2011 at 8:57 am

I lived in Cuidad Juarez – one of the worst cities in Mexico and I loved it. I also lived in Puerto Vallarta and loved it and didn’t see much difference in culture and attitude despite the distance between the two. The Mexican people are very warm and giving and exceptionally welcoming. And have the beautiful ocean nearby is great too! Thanks for the great article that shows the side of Mexico I know and love. And by the way, I’m just a gringo from Maine!

6. 26 May, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Exactamente

7. Mexica
    25 May, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Great. Me as a Mexican and enthusiastic lover of my country appreciate that there are people saying good things of Mexico. I agree, Mexico is a wonderful place with many unique things in all areas (culture, nature, food, people kindness, etc), but nowadays is a very dangerous place (a big place though,so easily confused as safe in some places). One thing does not exclude the other.
    Many of the guys writing here know Mexico better than me, that I was just born in it, but have visited very little. I am not negative, coward, racist nor any other label you may think off for me. I pretend to be realistic. Take care and continue visiting this land. We love positive and friendly people. That is what many of us are; just do not get too over optimistic, and consider it as a place where there is many contrasts and definitively not always a paradise.

8. April Miton
    7 April, 2011 at 12:02 pm

My family and I have lived in PV for over four years…we have children who go to school, grandbabies who have a nanny, we visit all the little out of the way areas with never a moments hesitation for our safety. BECAUSE WE ARE SAFE

The natural vitamin D does wonders for us but also those who we see come to visit. I am a vacation rental agent and must tell you about an elderly couple who were here for three months..The day they arrived, he took 15 (yes 15) minutes to get out of the van….did the Tim Conway shuffle to the condo and I worried all night for him and his wife…….by the end of week two, he had a jump in his step, no longer wore the bib, and was off to oxxo each day for a six pack of Tecate….On the day I checked them out, he told me he had not felt this good in 30 years….WOOHOO

This location truly is paradise and I must say I feel more safe and at home than on so many of the streets in my home town in BC.

Bravo for such a great article…….

9. 30 March, 2011 at 12:44 am

~*~SALUDOS~*~ COULDN’T HAVE SAID IT BETTER!!!!!!!!!
    PUERTO VALLARTA IS LIKE A LITTLE PIECE OF
    HEAVEN ON EARTH……SUITES NADIA…..HERE I COME!!!!!

10. 28 March, 2011 at 1:57 am

1.3% chance of being a victim of crime is very high, considering most are only there for a few days.

11. 27 March, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I loved this article Susie! As a resident of Mexico it is important to know the real facts about Mexico and your list is so true. Thank you for writing and I look forward to more of your articles.

• 27 March, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Thanks Kelina! Glad you enjoyed it. There is so much good happening in Mexico, I don’t think I’ll ever run out of content to cover! Best, Susie

12. Tanya Vergette
    18 March, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Hola Susie:

We are Canadian Sunbirds living 6 months in Ajijic Jalisco Mexico. My husband and I retired here 2 years ago and purchased a home. It is a sad day in April when we have to leave our chosen village. Yes we have cobblestone streets! Mexico has so much going for it… weather, friendly people, beautiful beaches, Sierra Madre Mountains, wonderful fresh food, the culture in all it’s glorious forms, cost of living and so much more! CRIME is the least of our worries! We have always felt very safe here. You can stay in your safe little house in your not so safe neighborhood and never experience one of the most beautiful countries in the world or you can visit Mexico where you will be treated like a king/queen in a country we personally love and can’t wait to return to every October.
    Try it and you’ll be hooked!

• 27 March, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Hi Tanya,

Fantastic, thanks for the comments. I really appreciate them and I’m glad you have had great experiences in Mexico. It’s important to share those positive experiences with others so thank you for taking the time to comment. Cheers!

13. 16 March, 2011 at 11:16 am

I LOVE this so much!!! I just wish the media would start focusing on these “dangers” instead of the ones they’re usually covering! In San Miguel especially, people are risk serious danger of “tripping and falling on the cobblestone streets” and I know I’ve had first hand encounters of almost “losing hearing sitting next to a 26-piece mariachi band”! Great times!

Thanks for being a positive voice telling people about all the great things Mexico has to offer! Great post! :)

Katie Conlon
    Oasis de San Miguel Property for Sale
    @OasisSanMiguel

14. Rachelle E
    16 March, 2011 at 8:39 am

This is perfect. We traveled to Mexico 8 times last year..and don’t intend to stop any time soon. I am asked constantly..and sometimes TOLD it’s too dangerous to travel to Mexio! (REALLY? lol)
    I tell people it’s like telling a foreigner not to travel to California because you might get mugged in NYC..come on! Are Americans really that oblivious as to what is going on right in their very own cities?
    I am taking my daughter back to Mexico next week for her Spring break and some mom/daughter R & R..look out beaches and buffets!
    Thanks again for your great words..perfect! See you in Mexico!

15. 12 March, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Thanks for the post, Susie. I just read all comments and felt compelled to comment on a comment—something I rarely do. So here goes:

Dear Well…
    First of all, I do make a living off travel to Mexico. I also have work options in other parts of the world and am from another country (considered safe, I guess) so could easily up and leave if I chose to (i.e felt the need to leave because of safety, attitude, culture, etc.). I’ve lived in Mexico for 16 years. I could tell you about what others have told me (like that ‘someone who used to live in Mexico’ you mention) but instead I’d like to say first-hand that I have had many, many wonderful experiences. So much so, that I choose to promote this country full-time. To sell what I know and believe.

You can most likely find people with good and bad stories about any place in the world. There’s usually a lot more reporting on the bad. I find it refreshing and inspiring to hear good stories. Why do I believe them? Because I have the same ones. Why don’t you? Perhaps because you’ve never here.

I respect your position and we’re all free to go—or not— where we wish. However, I do think it’s fair to respect this blogs angle as well.

Thanks for reminding us that there is still a lot of work to do.

16. Well...
    11 March, 2011 at 11:33 am

As far as crime goes in Mexico, there are travel crime advisories issued by most governments on travelling to Mexico and not just to where is heavy gang. This all can and does spill over elsewhere. Are you prepared to take the the risk? What if you’re that X%?

The fact is Mexico’s tourist towns depend on tourists and any negative publicity affects everyone….those who live and work there to the travel consultants who write blogs, tweets, etc promoting Mexico.

Lest we forget, no matter how careful you are in a foreign country, something bad may happen. And when it does, it’s the care you get or lack of that makes a difference. It’s no secret that if a tourist, espcially one who does not speak Spanish gets injured, hurt, or mugged anywhere in Mexico, you’re essential on your own. If you call for help it may never come, or if it does, it may take a long long time. By that time, anything could happen…you could be dead. if this was anywhere else, it’s likely you would’ve have survived because of the lack of help. I know someone who suffered a very very serious head injury while swimming at a resort in Playa Del Carmen. The person was bleeding half to death. It took the hotel staff several hours to call an ambulance. Finally, a good samaritan in the hotel with a rental car drove injured man to the hospital where thankfully he recovered.

Like someone who used to live in Mexico told me, any tourist in Mexico is considered to be wealthy, compared to the locals and those hustling to make a living or buck. They’re only your “friend” because they want something from you. If anything happens to you while visiting there, so sad to bad. You’re on your own.

With so many other sun destinations available like Hawaii, Florida, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Bahamas, Costa Rica, etc, why expose yourself to needless risk and visit Mexico just to save a few dollars and become drunk like a skunk for cheap?

• 11 March, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Hi Sasha, I want to thank you for your comment and appreciate you taking the time to share your opinion. The reason I started this site was to showcase the experiences I’ve had in Mexico and to share them with others who appreciate travel and new experiences. I’ve been traveling throughout Mexico for more than 20 years and have had great experiences. Avoiding crime and violence is impossible anywhere in the world, but I hope you can see that Mexico is an extraordinary country and people do have very good, positive experiences.

Sincerely,
      Susie / The Mexico Report

• Marisol K.
      16 March, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Please, stay out of Mexico. Your negativity and obvious prejudice against the country are not wanted there! You are either a coward or racist, or both.

17. 11 March, 2011 at 9:59 am

Loved this article!! Laughed so hard!!
    -Susie

18. cuponismo
    11 March, 2011 at 7:24 am

It’s refreshing to see such positive news, and comments about Mexico.
    Yesterday, I tried to write some comments on the Denver news, which were the total opposite. I tried to leave a comment because many of the people sounded like they’d never even been to Mexico before – http://www.9news.com/news/article/186285/188/DU-cautions-students-about-spring-break-in-Mexico- but I couldn’t login, for some reason. I tried with firefox and IE, no joy.

Fox is known for its conservative view, but the comments on this board were heartbreaking to enraging, especially since I couldn’t write a rebuttal.

Viva Mexico, from a Bermudian…

Geordie
    blog.cuponismo.com

19. 10 March, 2011 at 2:32 pm

My husband and I finally were able to retire in our “little piece of paradise”, San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico. We love EVERYTHING about Mexico, the natural beauty of the country, and especially the warm friendly people. And the cost of living! Well, what can I say, last week at the local tianquis (swap meet and Farmers Market) we bought 3 huge bunches of beets, 2 bunches of carrots, 3 huge bunches of swiss chard, a kilo of tomatoes, a kilo of tangerines, a kilo of oranges, a kilo of onions, kilo of limes (a kilo is 2.25 pounds) plus two HUGE lettace, and a huge cabbage, all so fresh straight from the vendor’s farm, for about $12.00 US. We also purchase almost daily from the local street vendor asparagus, freshly picked, for 75 cents a kilo! Asparagus soup and fresh seafood is our favorite meal for now. Our taxes on our beautiful home overlooking the blue waters of the Sea of Cortez, where we enjoy the passing of dolphins and whales, right off our balcony are $350.00 US. And we are a 5 hour drive from the Arizona border, and by the way I travel the highway there every 6 weeks to go see my grandkids and I travel alone. Never have I felt in danger. Two years ago my husband and I traveled 6000 miles through Mexico exploring 25 different states and most nights sleeping in the back of our van! After having traveled to many different countries including Europe, Scandinavia and Africa, we found Mexico to be the most beautiful of all mostly due to the great people and culture we encountered! And again never once did we feel in danger. ALL I CAN SAY IS WE FEEL SO VERY BLESSED TO HAVE FOUND THIS WONDERFUL PLACE. My hubby says when people ask about Mexico being dangerous just tell them “yes, yes, it is so dangerous, you don’t want to go there” because we want to keep San Carlos for ourselves and our families who all want to move here as when they have come to visit they have fallen completely in love too!

• 15 March, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Dear Pam, thank you so much for your thoughtful comments and response to the post. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences! Cheers!

20. cuponismo
    10 March, 2011 at 11:51 am

Susie, as always great writing. You inspired me to follow a similar post on the safety of traveling in Mexico which came from a news article from PV Pulse a few weeks ago. The bottom line is that recently even cities like Guadalajara have been receiving bad press on violence. This article points out that New Orleans, LA in the good ol USA has 52 murders per capita of 100,000 inhabitants, while Mexico’s second largest city has only 13 per 100,000 inhabitants. We are not suggesting people visit Cuidad Juarez, or Reynoso, but people should feel safe while traveling in Mexico.

Thanks for reminding us about how great life, and visiting Puerto Vallarta can be.

Geordie

21. 10 March, 2011 at 11:19 am

I too love Mexico! I’ve been coming to Mexico for about 10 years and everytime I have to leave , I’m crying.. finally in 2009 I made the move with my 2 daughters, now ages 11 and 15. They attend school here and are now almost fluent in espanol and learning French. This journey we are on has enriched our lives tremendously! My daughters have friends in the US that have never left their front yard! We love Mexico, the culture is so rich and everyone we meet has a way of inspiring us! Everyday is a new experience and like many north should learn how to count their blessings like we have! I sell real estate here in PV, LaCruz and Bucerias, Nayarit and many more buyers are coming to retire here… “We call Mexico home and so can you!” Viva Mexico!

• 15 March, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Angela – what a wonderful experience! Thank you for taking the time to read the post and include a comment with your experiences. This is what people need to read, see, hear, etc. Take care and thanks again! Cheers.

22. 10 March, 2011 at 9:57 am

Thank you for an honest report. We hope people like you will continue to spread the truth, despite what news casters & government officials spout out. I too have just returned from a fabulous vacation in Puerto Vallarta and am planning my Riviera Maya family vacation as I write. You are far more likely to be a victim of crime in your own town than you are in Puerto Vallarta, Riviera Maya, Cancun or Cozumel. The people of Mexico are warm & welcoming and do not deserve the bashing they are getting. The border towns have ALWAYS been a dangerous place and that’s not changed, only the way it’s reported….. Thank you again, keep up the good workl

23. Missy Crawley
    10 March, 2011 at 9:17 am

I have lived here in Puerto Penasco, Sonora for many years. My children go to school here, 7 & 4. We travel through Mexico, even at night. We have driven to Puerto Vallarta 6 times and have never had a bad experience. I sometimes feel like I’m battling this war of bad information on my own. I am sooo happy to hear all the wonderful people who love this country as much as I do! We need to keep speaking up, our friends and family here need our help to get people here. I have been saddened to see how the absence of tourism has changed the lives of many around us. While it is true you need to be careful, this country and it’s people are truly amazing! Viva Mexico!!!

• 15 March, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. It’s always great to hear other responses and I appreciate you taking the time to comment!

24. Patricia Apoian
    9 March, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I was in Puerto Vallarta in December and I cried for two hours on the way home and then some more on the plane ride home!!!!!! I never wanted to leave and I can not wait to come back for a visit or, who knows to live??!!??

• 15 March, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Hi Patricia! Yes, I can relate! Thanks for reading the post and your comments! Take care and cheers!

25. 9 March, 2011 at 10:34 am

Great again Susie thanks and I agree with Bill B – Come visit us in Penasco sometime, I will make sure you have a place to stay and a private tour of our community! Bring your camera too!

26. Marialaura Cuellar
    9 March, 2011 at 8:51 am

Travelling into mexico might be the best or the worst experience, why ? Because if you come afraid all the time and thinking everybody is going to shoot you then dont spend your money, bad Guys are not in the touristic area, Mexico is a paradise in which God leave all the beuties of his creation. Servicial people, music, colors and and the most importantant Mexicans warmth.
    Try to be in nice resorts so you don’t put your life in risk going to hippie beaches. We welcome you!!!!

27. 9 March, 2011 at 7:59 am

Wonderful article. Will post on my website too. We went to Puerto Penasco 4 years ago and now can’t wait to retire there.

28. 8 March, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Great article, truly refreshing read amid all the negative media. Posted it on our wall for Puerto Penasco/Rocky Point: http://www.facebook.com/RockyPoint

29. 8 March, 2011 at 10:38 am

Love it! As a single woman traveling in Mexico I have never experienced any crime. The few times I’ve been robbed or felt threatened have been while back home in Canada.
    I’ve shared your article on our facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/MexiGoProperties
    Thanks!

30. 7 March, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Love what you wrote. We have a place in Nayarit, so we fly into PV about 4 times a year. All I ever hear before I leave is “Aren’t you worried about what could happen, etc.,etc. I usually tell the person asking that I don’t wear a lot of bling, I don’t go to a night club, drink to much tequila, and start acting like a rich American and I do respect the people of the country and understand that I am a guest of their country. No, I don’t worry any more about being in Mexico than I worry about being in large cities here in the states. Thanks for reminding me about the sun burn. I’m headed back in 7 days, I’ll need to pack some.

31. 7 March, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Thanks for your comments on Mexico I hope your articles get passed around a lot so that the folks out there thinking about visiting Mexico may just decide to do so after reading one of your many articles on Mexico

Saludos !! Maybe someday you can come and visit us in La Paz Baja California Sur I have lived here without incident for over 25 years I actually moved here from Oakland California to be safe and raise my daughter as a single Mom Haven’t regretted it yet.

32. 6 March, 2011 at 7:24 am

A great post :))
    I am just going to Mexico for 3 months on Thursday and so looking forward to it! Just everyone is scared and worries if it is safe, apart from me :D

33. 5 March, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Dear Susie: What a great report!!! It is very ingenious way of speaking about security I am going to send the link to everybody in Vallarta. This is fantastic!!!

34. 5 March, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I think you understate the true dangers of Mexico, but it is refreshing to hear a side of levity and comedy pertaining to the dangers in Mexico. I travel a lot in Mexico, and love the country and people. One must use common sense and a keen eye to evade and avoid dangers; but staying home and triple-locking the doors makes for a boring life. Thanks for the lightheartedness!

35. 5 March, 2011 at 11:17 am

As a full-time resident of the Puerto Vallarta area, I can only thank you for writing such a realistic article on the safety issue. Wherever one travels, common sense is a must. Be smart, be aware of your surrounding, and you will be as safe in the tourist destinations of Mexico as you are anywhere else.

Kathleen

36. 5 March, 2011 at 9:02 am

We had been coming to Mexico for 10 years and would always take a before and after picture.. the one when we first arrived “All Happy” and the one in the lobby when we were leaving “All Sad and Crying”… kept trying to figure out a way to get here perminently.. now living in Mexico (La Cruz, Nayarit currently, selling real estate) for 2 years… and will never go back to the states, well except to visit in August (maybe)…my daughters go to school here ages 11 and 15.. those most amazing experience you can offer your children! “We call Mexico home and so can you!”

37. jenella Loye
    4 March, 2011 at 4:52 pm

We drove to Guatemala and Belize in the 90’s. Everyone in Utah warned us about the dangers of Mexico, when we got to mexico we broke down in the Vw van at least once a week and local people helped us and warned us about the dangers of Belize. In Belize they couldn’t believe we survived Mexico and warned us about Guatemala. In Guate they were in shock we had driven for two months with no problem in Belize and Mexico and confided that they were afraid to visit their friends and relatives in Los Angeles. We actually then flew down to Costa Rica to work for a few weeks and everyone there was afraid of all of central america to the north, plus houston, new york and los angeles.
    Yes, our greatest danger was always over-eating and getting too cold at night in our thin clothing. Everytime I have been robbed (three or four times) it has been in the US. That said, we are careful about what we do and where we go, particularly in big cities.

38. 4 March, 2011 at 1:20 pm

For me, I’m so tired of this wonderful weather we are having! Living here in Bucerias (little Canada) is the most amazing place. All of our friends and family around us while we live here in paradise.. “We call it home, and so can you!”

39. Ali
    4 March, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Great article! keep on spreading the positivity that exists in our country. Let us know if you ever need content or anything in Los Cabos.

Saludos,
    Ali
    @LifestyleVillas

40. Joaquin Hawkins
    4 March, 2011 at 10:17 am

We have been in Mexico one way or another for 30 years. The last four we have lived 7 miles east of Chapala, above Lake Chapala. It is very tranquil here and when we hear reports of violence etc. in Mexico it seems surreal. Our personal experiences here have been revelatory. We have experienced more questionable happenings within the expat community than from the Mexicans. We have been the victims of some unscrupulous Americans and Canadians, befriending us and other unsuspecting “innocents” quickly, but with agendas to fleece fellow expats.
    We have had phone calls from the North, “Are we OK, Safe?” Like your response, we can accentuate the positives, by clarifying the negatives. No place on earth is utopia. Mexican culture does have its blemishes. I get so disturbed by rampant grafitti. But, it is a world-wide problem. I dislike the blatant tossing of litter, the maltreatment of animals. How many Mexicans, in this Catholic country, regard and treat dogs, cats, etc…..is an afront to their revered St. Francis of Asissi. However, I do not fear being a victim of violent crime myself. It does happen. But, I dare say my American culture is much more violent than this here. The lack of common sense regardless of geography can put people into harm’s way.

41. MIKZIK
    4 March, 2011 at 9:39 am

OH MY GOD YOU ARE TRULY AMAZING IN YOUR COMMENTS AND YOU REALLY LIKE MY MEXICO NO TWO … PEOPLE ARE WARM, NICE, FRIENDLY, relaxing, working and enthusiastic … THANKS FOR MY OPINION OF MEXICO LOVED IT, AND IF YOU REALLY FELT LIKE ME WHEN I WAS THE LAST OPTION ON GETTING VERY SAD TO LEAVE A BEAUTIFUL PLACE SO AWESOME AND SO THAT I LIVE IN MEXICO … VISIT MEXICO AND SECURITY HAVE TO TAKE A GREAT TASTE IN MOUTH

42. Elie
    3 March, 2011 at 7:04 pm

To know the right answer to the question if mexico is a safe place go to http://www.mexinada.com

• Jose Munoz
      4 March, 2011 at 9:13 am

To know the other right answer to the question if Mexico is a safe place, go to http://www.thetruthaboutmexico.com/
      As you can see, yours is not the only right answer :-)

43. 3 March, 2011 at 5:48 am

Hi, loved your article, would you be interested in exchanging links? my website is still underscontruction, my previous one is http://www.islabudgetrentals.com if you would like to visit.

44. siena
    2 March, 2011 at 10:19 pm

i’m going to be a foreign exchange student in mexico next year and what you guys had to say was really comforting. mexico was my first choice, but everytime i tell people they always ask me “why?” well…. that’s why :)

45. Noe Lopez
    2 March, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Thanks for telling the truth about mexico, I invite you come and visit us at Ajijic, Jalisco.

46. 2 March, 2011 at 4:31 pm

This is so very true. Going to post this on my refrigerator :)

47. Rosemary
    2 March, 2011 at 1:13 pm

It’s funny how people forget about common sense. I tell people that all the time when traveling. You have to be aware of your surroundings and the culture you’re visiting.

48. Arturo
    2 March, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I found your astute observations refreshing. As a retired Canadian, and having lived here full time for almost seven years, I find it safer than if were living in a Canadian city where crime levels are high.
    It is all about respect for all that Mexico has to offer. If you live a tranquil life here, it is doubtful you would ever have a problem

49. Arturo Barragán
    2 March, 2011 at 11:26 am

I really like what you wrote, You are right, many years ago neighbors we used to help each other, sharing smiles, food, many good things, countries must do that, now the way of life has change all this everywhere, but we should still welcome our neighbors.

50. 2 March, 2011 at 9:47 am

I second that, sunburned is a huge risk. Coming from Sweden my first trip to Mexico was bad – sun wise. After 2 days I had 2nd degree burns on my shoulder, then I went scuba diving. The dive pack trashed what was left of my shoulders and 5 years later I still have scares…
    But you get wiser and I go back year after year. Now using sunblock

51. 2 March, 2011 at 9:40 am

I really enjoyed your piece. Very humorous :)

While I don’t disagree that Mexico is a safe place travel (I lead tours there and visit very frequently), I would be very hesitant to place faith in the statistic cited above. Crime is not as thoroughly reported in Mexico due to a long history of corruption in the federal and local police forces. So, the numbers are probably correct but they most likely don’t represent the real statistics.

Again, I love visiting Mexico and I always feel safe. I do agree that the US media (and I work for the US media) have blown this out of proportion.

52. 2 March, 2011 at 9:24 am

Dear Susie,

Thanks for writing another positive article on Mexico! I also liked the other article you linked to; nothing better than hard facts & figures to set the record straight.

I’d like to leave a direct link to another good article about safety in Mexico, with facts and figures too:

How Safe Is Travel In Mexico?

Thanks for supporting Mexico!
    Warm regards from Cancun,
    Camilo Olea
    Founder,Director

53. 2 March, 2011 at 8:38 am

Sooooo agree with what you say!! I have been living in Mexico for almost 3 years now and I still don’t know what to answer to the people asking me this question…
    Thanks!
    All the best!
    Anne

54. 2 March, 2011 at 8:35 am

just posted this to my facebook fan page- visitlamanzanilla.com! Thanks for the content.

55. juan moran
    2 March, 2011 at 8:16 am

That´s what México is all about !!!!!

56. 2 March, 2011 at 7:05 am

Susie! YES!!! I can only agree with such comments! I was working in Vallarta for 2 months and at that brunch as well, it is simply …i n s p i r a t i o n a l!

I would say that with the hospitality and colorful scenery, gorgeous weather, warm people, etc, the hardest thing is not to think about going back and living there forever.

57. 1 March, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I love the way you write……..please visit us in Puerto Penasco somtime.

Bill

• 27 March, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I agree! I love the way you write ….please visit us in Rosarito / Ensenada and write about us too!!