On the plane from Los Angeles to Cancun, a mother was traveling with her husband and two children. Since she and her husband were not seated together, and one of their seats was next to us, they each took turns sitting next to us. She sat next to me the last half of the flight. This was their first vacation to Mexico and it just so happened that they were going to be staying at Hacienda Tres Rios in Riviera Maya, a place my husband and I know well.
We were able to tell her all about the resort, its surroundings, ambiance, eco-practices, kids club, Chef Oscar, and so forth. She said she wanted to do something special for her husband for his birthday while they were there and I recommended dining at the ‘Chef’s Table’ with Chef Oscar. She could get childcare on site or have the kids go in the Kids Club.
She said, “Do you think that’s safe?” and I said, “I’m POSITIVE it’s safe.” I knew that this was a very kid-friendly place.
This led me to really think about the ‘Is Mexico Safe?’ comment I hear all too often. Like any other country, isolated crimes will happen, and you always have to be a smart traveler, be respectful of the country you are in and don’t go asking for trouble.
For anyone who has not been to Mexico (and/or who tells other people not to go because of what they see on the 6 o’clock news), please think twice. I have been traveling to Mexico for more than 20 years and will continue to travel to Mexico for the next 20 years, unless we end up moving there first!
So, here are 16 Positive Things About Mexico (and yes, I’m only getting started!)
- I am positive that no matter where you go or what you do in Mexico, it will always be an adventure.
- I am positive that someone will always be around to help you.
- I am positive that no matter how hard you try, some words will be lost in translation, and most likely it will be comical.
- I am positive that having a sense of humor is key for any travel.
- I am positive that experiencing new foods in Mexico will never get old.
- I am positive that your eyes will be dazzled by the bright colors of Mexico.
- I am positive that Mexico’s greatest natural beauty is in the eyes of her children.
- I am positive that Mexico will always amaze and never cease to confound.
- I am positive that Mexico is ancient and modern at the same time.
- I am positive that Mexico still is a place of dreams.
- I am positive that the natural beauty will replenish your soul.
- I am positive that you can see the history of Mexico in the faces of its people.
- I am positive that when you visit (and you’re not acting like a jerk), you will be treated like family.
- I am positive that the many speed bumps are good for your abs.
- I am positive that you will always find an outdoor taco stand or street cart open late.
- I am positive that for me, the best part of Mexico is the children.